Thursday, July 25, 2013

Raising a Girl... Surprise (pt1)

In college I made a change from being awkward around girls to being able to (seemingly magically) engage in conversation without coming off as a complete buffoon. Through some of these conversations I was informed on a few occasions I would be a perfect father to a little girl.

Cool, thanks... wait, wait, wait... what did you just say? 

Now some may take that as a compliment, but as a man complete with a hairy chest and audible belches. I desperately desired to raise a man child who would one day compete in sports, challenge me to all you can eat rib competitions, and win a trophy for stinkiest student at camp one day. Okay maybe i don't want that last one to be true, I mean who wants the "smelly kid?"

So I took the advice and continued to trek forward on this adventure called life. Through some miracle, I met my incredibly awesome wife, Lauren. I wooed her, she kissed me, it was love at 10th sight. We got married, went on our honeymoon, and moved to Texas for school. Everything was going to plan. Then on our first anniversary, she informed me she was "behind schedule". "Hmm, probably just one of those weird girl things," I thought after the first test came up negative.

After a little bit begging and firm announcement, Lauren encouraged (or nagged) me to get another test. Sure enough this time the test was positive. At this point, it was me begging her to take another test. She assured me that there is no chance of a false negative. I reluctantly agreed she knew about these things more than myself and we went to the pregnancy center for another test for insurance purposes. Oh my, this is really happening.

Lauren, after watching one too many documentaries and reading 15 too many blogs, decided she wanted to have a natural birth at a pregnancy center. Since I am a scrooge when it comes to spending, Lauren assured me this was cheaper than a hospital, I elatedly accommodated her wishes.

After a couple of appointments, it came time to find out the gender. Leading up to this time, Lauren assured me she was pregnant with a macho fetus. I also got some teasing from several well meaning buddies that I would have a little girl.

Disclaimer** I have always wanted a little girl to be the princess of my castle, I just wanted her to have an older brother first.

Since most of you are smart enough to know what happens next, I will simply say the ride home after the ultrasound was filled with Lauren's reassurance toward me as I attempted to regain the pigment in my skin and will myself not to have a panic attack.

When Lyla finally took her first breath, she literally took mine away. I will always be amazed by how much you can love a person even though you know nothing about them. I didn't have to know her personality, quirks, pet peeves, favorite color, favorite food, if she would be a good athlete, make good grades, prefer cats or dogs, whether she will be a safe driver, or obedient to her parents. I just loved her. Amazing.

I wouldn't trade her for 100 boys.

Spiritual Application
In the same way, that is how God has asked us to love each other. He hasn't asked us to get to know one another and then make determination if that person "deserves" our respect and love. He just told us to love them. Love will always seek the best for the other person. Sure some people seem harder to love than others, but that isn't part of the formula. If you determine in your heart and mind you will love others not matter what, it will be easier to forgive the differences which keep us from truly loving, I promise. Most importantly though, each person is God's child, and because of that has inherent value deserving of love and respect.

This is picture of me holding Lyla when she was only about an hour old.















Tune in later for part two of raising a girl.


1 comment:

  1. Wow couldn't have said it any better!! you are a wonderful father!!

    ReplyDelete